Tuesday, October 13, 2009

You Don't Know What Love Is....


Good morning, afternoon, evening heartache. My old and trusted friend. The one with an open invitation to the pieces of my fragmented heart.

Good morning, afternoon, evening heartache. I dine again on your breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, supper and dessert. Your meals of resentments and I told you so's fill my belly and make my heart leaden.

I trusted in love and she stabbed me again. In the same wound, by the same perpetrator - just a different knife.

This knife is a many-pronged dagger that seeks the public eye. It wraps itself in the veil of self-acceptance and pulls others into its one-sided story. There's no shame in the jaggedness of its blade. Its cutting style is erratic and saw-like. Stabbing, chopping, slicing......There's no rest from this knife. It has severed my vocal cords. Its story has become the official spin on the destruction of a home, a marriage, a family. Its story has become one of self-redemption. Of cleansing and transparency. Of letting go and letting God.

The perpetrator had no idea about this knife. The profundity of making such a choice. It was irresponsible, immature, nearly unforgiveable and completely unnecessary. Because at this point, I cannot stop wondering about what could have been....I cannot help but wish that things would be different.

I gave my heart to the perpetrator. Freely again. Trusting again. Open again for the possibilities of something so great that nothing would be able to pull us apart. And the perpetrator pulls out a new, even more deadly dagger.

A dagger that won't go away.

A dagger that has no shame.

You don't know what love is
Until you've learned the meaning of the blues Until you've loved a love you've had to lose
You don't know what love is

You don't know how lips hurt
Until you've kissed and had to pay the cost
Until you've flipped your heart and you have lost
You don't know what love is

Do you know how a lost heart feels
The thought of reminiscing
And how lips that taste of tears
Lose their taste for kissing

You don't know how hearts burn
For love that can not live yet never dies
Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes
You don't know what love is

You don't know how hearts burn
For love that can not live yet never dies
Until you've faced each dawn with sleepless eyes
You don't know what love is.....what love is....

No comments:

Post a Comment