Thursday, February 12, 2009

Comin' From Where I'm From......

Hello out there in blogland!

I'm up late tonight - not sure why, but I have this restless energy that's got me going so I figured, WHY NOT BLOG???

And as I'm blogging, I'm listening to music - actually, I'm toggling between this site and Youtube.com watching Cape Verdean videos.

As the the five of you who follow my blog (thanks) may know, one part of my family is from the lovely archipelago of the Cape Verde Islands. And along with the beautiful people (hi family) and great food (some of my followers have tasted the JOY that is cachupa), there is also a wealth of very good music made by the folks who come from where I'm from.

I'm sure that most people associate Cape Verdean music with the Queen of the Morna - Cesaria Evora - and she deserves all the shine she gets. There are also some great, newer artists out there as well. One of my favorites is Lura and since I'm enjoying her stuff, I figured I'd pass some of the love on to you all as well.

Don't worry about not understanding the words if you don't speak Crioulo....it's okay....just enjoy the spirit of the music. And at the 3:39 mark, she gets REAL traditional with it!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3oyP4LmoeQ&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment